Travelling to Australia from the UK obviously requires some preparation, especially in terms of administration. To travel to Australia, you will need to have some official documents with you, such as a passport, but also a valid residence permit such as a classic visa or an electronic visa (eVisitor or eTA). In this page, we will explain in detail how to quickly obtain a visa for Australia depending on your situation and the purpose of your trip as well as the different procedures to follow to obtain it.
Is a visa required for British citizens wishing to travel to Australia?
Yes, British citizens must obtain a visa before travelling to Australia. There are several types of Australian visas that allow travellers to come to Australia for different reasons, such as tourism, study, work or family reunion.
To obtain a visa, travellers must complete an online application and provide the necessary documents, such as their passport, a completed visa application form, recent photographs and proof of their ability to cover the costs of their travel and stay in Australia. Visa fees may vary depending on the type of visa applied for and the intended length of stay. If you have any questions about the Australian visa application process, you can contact the Australian Embassy in the UK or visit the Australian Government website for more information.
As we will see below, there are different types of traditional visas for Australia, but there is a simpler way to travel to Australia for holiday or other tourism or business purposes with the eTA or eVisitor system.
What are the different types of visas available to travel to Australia?
There are several different types of visas for Australia, which allow travellers to visit Australia for different reasons, such as tourism, study, work or family reunion. Here are some examples of the types of visas for Australia:
- Tourist visa (subdivision 600): This visa allows travellers to visit Australia for holidays, family visits or tourism activities. The tourist visa is valid for up to 12 months from the date of arrival in Australia.
- Student visa (subdivision 500): This visa allows international students to come to Australia to study at a recognised higher education institution. The student visa is valid for the duration of the study in Australia.
- Temporary Work Visa (sub-division 482): This visa allows skilled workers to come to Australia to work for an Australian employer. The Temporary Work Visa is valid for the duration of the employment in Australia.
- Family Reunion Visa (subdivision 300): This visa allows spouses, common-law partners and same-sex partners of Australian nationals or permanent visa holders in Australia to travel to Australia to join their family. The Family Reunion Visa is valid for an unlimited period.
There are also other types of visas for Australia, such as long-term work visas, permanent residence visas and transit visas. If you need more information about the types of visas available for Australia, you can visit the Australian government website or contact the Australian Embassy in the UK.
But as a British citizen, you also have the option of using the eVisitor electronic visa application process.
The electronic visa for travel to Australia from the UK:
The eVisitor is a type of electronic visa that allows travellers to travel to Australia for short stays, mainly for tourism or business. Nationals of certain countries, including the UK, can apply for an ETA online before travelling.
The eVisitor is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and allows travellers to stay in Australia for up to three months on each visit.
To apply for an eVisa, travellers must have a valid passport, an email address and a credit card to cover the application fee. The cost of applying for an eVisa varies depending on the site you apply to, and we recommend on this page a provider site that offers an eVisa application form and assistance in English. If you need more information about the Australian eVisa, you can visit the Australian Government website or contact the Australian Embassy in the UK.
The benefits of this process include allowing travellers to obtain a valid Australian residence permit quickly and through a simplified online process that only takes a few minutes.
Another advantage of the eVisa process for Australia is that the cost is much lower than the traditional visa you can get at the embassy or consulate.
How do I get an eVisa for Australia online?
Here are the steps to follow to obtain an e-visa for Australia online:
- Make sure you are eligible for an eVisa. Citizens of some countries, including the UK, can apply for an eVisa online before travelling to Australia.
- Access the Australian government's website for eVisa applications or, more simply, a partner eVisa provider site such as the one we recommend on this page. You can also use an authorised service provider to submit your eVisa application.
- Follow the instructions on the website to complete the eVisa application online. You will need to provide personal information, such as your name, date of birth and passport number.
- Pay the eVisa application fee using a credit card or other electronic payment method such as Paypal. This payment is mandatory for your application to be processed in time.
- Submit your eTA or eVisitor application online. You should receive confirmation of your application by email within 24 to 72 hours of this validation, directly by email.
- There is no need to print your eTA or eVisitor authorisation once obtained as it will be automatically and electronically attached to your passport.
It is important to note that the eTA or eVisitor is not a permanent residence visa and does not allow you to work in Australia. If you need to stay in Australia for a longer period of time or wish to work in Australia, you will need to apply for a different type of visa. If you have any questions about the process of applying for an eVisa for Australia, you can contact the Australian Embassy in the UK or visit the Australian Government website for more information.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.