Documents required to travel to Egypt:
First of all, some official documents are of course essential if you want to go to Egypt. Here is the list:
- A valid passport valid for at least 6 months after the date of return from Egypt or a national identity card (depending on the country of residence)
- A visa valid for a minimum stay of one month. Note that if your stay is longer than one month, it will be possible to extend it on the spot by going to the country's Immigration Office in Alexandria.
To obtain a visa for Egypt, there are three different solutions:
- You can apply for a tourist visa at an Egyptian consulate in your country of residence if you are travelling with a passport and bring two passport photos and your passport. The visa fee is payable in cash and the average processing time is 3-6 days, although it is advisable to apply at least two weeks before departure.
- If you are travelling with an identity card (only if you are a Belgian, French, German, Italian or Portuguese national), you can apply for your visa on arrival in the country with a form provided by the Egyptian authorities.
- Finally, since 2017, it is possible to apply for an e-visa online to travel to Egypt. This formality is done directly on the Internet, without having to travel.
It should also be noted that if you are travelling with children, each child must have their own individual passport. An exit permit will also be required for minors travelling with a parent or without a parent.
What are the customs formalities in Egypt?
Customs formalities are also very strict in Egypt and it is advisable to take some precautions before your trip with regard to personal items that you may bring in or out of the country.
As for what you can bring into Egypt, the country has import restrictions including:
- The amount of cash you can take with you must not exceed LE 500 or equivalent. Otherwise, you must declare the amount you are taking with you. You can only take a maximum of LE 5,000 in cash with you.
- For alcohol and tobacco, you can only take 200 cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200g of tobacco and 2 litres of alcohol with you.
As for what you can bring back from your trip to Egypt, and while there is a wide variety of handicrafts, there are also certain rules that must be followed.
Specifically, you cannot import or export antiques older than 100 years. Also note that you should be wary of local antique dealers. They sell many objects under this name, but in reality they are only copies and not authentic objects. The latter are forbidden for export. Some rare antique dealers in Cairo or Luxor have a real licence to sell authentic pieces and can give you a certificate of authenticity.
Formalities and health requirements for travel to Egypt:
As far as your state of health is concerned, you will not be required to have any vaccinations to travel to Egypt, with the exception of yellow fever if you are a traveller coming from a high-risk country.
However, it is recommended that you ensure that you are up to date with certain mandatory vaccines such as diphtheria, tetanus and polimyelitis, as well as recommended vaccines such as whooping cough, hepatitis A and B, typhoid fever and rabies. It is not necessary to take anti-malarial treatment as the proliferation of mosquitoes is limited in the country.
To avoid getting sick during your stay in Egypt, there are a few simple rules to follow:
- Avoid drinking tap water
- Don't take ice with your drinks
- Peel the fruit you eat
- Favour cooked foods
- Wash your hands before each meal
- Equip yourself with a good mosquito repellent
How to get a visa to Egypt quickly?
Now that you know the conditions to respect to go to Egypt, you only have to fill in the different formalities to go there, including the visa application.
This is compulsory for all travellers wishing to enter the country, even if it is only for tourist purposes.
To obtain your visa for Egypt quickly and in the best conditions, it is recommended to use, when possible, the e-visa procedure.
Recall that the e-visa is an electronic application system for travel authorisation that was introduced in 2017 by the Egyptian government and allows you to obtain a visa quickly online, without any trip to an embassy or consulate and without sending any documents.
The procedure here is extremely simple as you just need to go to a website offering this type of service, such as the one we recommend on this website, and fill in a simple application form. Don't forget to bring your passport number to which your authorisation will be attached.
Once you have paid the fees, your application will be processed within a few days and you will receive your visa by email. All you have to do is print it out and present it at the time of departure.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.