Swiss travellers wishing to visit India are required to obtain a visa before their trip. However, since 2014, they can take advantage of the electronic visa which is available to citizens of more than 166 countries, including Switzerland. This electronic application concerns tourist, medical or business travel. Thus, the procedure for applying for a visa as a Swiss citizen for India is a simple and quick procedure that can be done in a few minutes and from anywhere in the world from any device connected to the Internet. We will explain here how it is possible to obtain an Indian visa very easily thanks to this innovative device.
What visa should a Swiss traveller apply for when travelling to India?
Of course, the type of visa that Swiss travellers can apply for to visit India will vary according to the purpose of the trip. Among the electronic visas, we distinguish the e-tourist, e-business or e-medical visa.
- The tourist visa for India for Swiss nationals is valid for one year from the date of issue. It allows two entries into the country with a maximum stay of 90 consecutive days per entry.
- The Indian business visa for Swiss travellers has the same validity period but this time the maximum stay is longer and can be up to 180 consecutive days.
- Finally, the medical visa for Swiss nationals in India is a visa that allows three entries into the country and for a duration of 60 days from the date of entry. The stays cannot exceed 60 days.
Documents that Swiss travellers should bring to obtain a visa for India:
As we quickly mentioned above, it is possible to obtain a visa for India very easily and online by filling in a simple form. However, you will also need to provide certain documents. Here are the different conditions to be fulfilled before obtaining an Indian visa from Switzerland:
- A valid passport with a validity of at least 6 months after the date of arrival in India.
- Two blank pages in the passport.
- A return or onward ticket.
- Proof of sufficient financial resources to cover their needs during their stay in India.
- A digital copy of the biographical page of the passport showing the traveller's photo and personal information and data. This must be in PDF format and have a maximum size of 300 KB.
- A bank card to pay the processing fee
- A recent ID photo, full face and white background, with the face centred, eyes open and front view. The photo must be borderless, of equal height and width, in JPEG format and no larger than 1MB.
- A valid email address
In some cases, certain additional documents may be required as part of a visa application for India, including a yellow fever vaccination certificate if the traveller comes from a yellow fever endemic country and health insurance.
Swiss travellers should apply for an India visa at least 4 days before their departure date, but you can apply much earlier and up to 120 days before your trip.
How long does it take to get a visa for India in Switzerland?
As mentioned above, Swiss travellers should apply for an e-visa for India at least 4 days before their departure date to the country. The average time taken to process and approve a visa for India is 2-4 working days.
Once the visa has been granted, the Swiss traveller will receive it directly by email at the address indicated in the form. It must then be printed and presented on arrival in the country. We also recommend that you keep a copy of this visa for the duration of your stay in India.
Of course, some delays may occur when errors are made in the application form and it is therefore important to check the data entered carefully before validating it.
Finally, it is not possible to extend the validity of a visa for India and it does not allow you to visit certain protected areas of the country.
What is the procedure to obtain an e-visa for India from Switzerland?
The procedure for applying for a visa to India for Swiss travellers is very simple and takes only a few minutes. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the official website or to a website offering this service, such as the one we have selected for you.
- Fill in the form, making sure you answer all the questions honestly.
- Download the documents required for your application without sending them by post or going to the embassy.
- Pay the processing fee securely by credit card.
- You will receive your answer within 2 to 4 working days by email.
- Print out your e-visa and take it and your passport with you when you travel.
Remember that it is necessary to travel with the passport whose number you mentioned in the form.
What visa should a Swiss traveller apply for to travel to India?
If you wish to travel to India for any of these reasons from Geneva, you must apply for a visa directly online using the e-visa procedure.
It is no longer necessary to go to the Indian embassy or consulate in Geneva to apply for a visa, which can be done entirely online. All you need to do is go to the official website or to the website of a service provider such as the one we recommend on this website and fill in an application form. Once you have completed the application form, all you have to do is pay the online application fee and wait a few days to receive your visa.
However, do not forget to select the type of visa that best suits your travel purpose. If you make a mistake, you may be refused entry to India if you have the wrong visa.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.