To organize your next trip to Vietnam, you must make sure you have all the necessary official documents. Among these documents, there is of course the passport, but also the visa which applies to certain travellers. We will detail here the conditions to be fulfilled and the documents to be presented when boarding your flight to Vietnam.
The passport as an official document essential for a trip to Vietnam:
Of course and to travel to Vietnam, which is outside the European Union, you must have in your possession a valid passport and whose validity covers at least 6 months after the date of return for English nationals.
Please note that the contact details on the passport must be provided to the Vietnamese authorities in advance.
The passport which will be presented during the trip and in order to be prepared for any eventuality, must have a minimum of 3 blank pages, 2 of which must be facing each other.
Regarding the emergency passport, please note that this official document is not accepted everywhere in Vietnam. In some cases, this type of passport may also require a visa application even for travellers who are exempted with their ordinary passport.
Finally, and still on the subject of passports, please note that if you are travelling with children to Vietnam, these children, even if they are minors, must also have their own individual passport. Children travelling without one of their parents must also have an exit permit.
If you do not yet have a valid passport and wish to prepare your trip to Vietnam efficiently, we advise you to apply for a passport as soon as possible. The time taken to obtain a passport in the UK can vary from a few weeks to several months depending on the level of demand.
Do I need a visa to travel to Vietnam?
Currently for UK nationals, a visa is not required to travel to Vietnam if the intended stay in the country is less than or equal to 45 consecutive days between the date of entry and the date of exit inclusive.
These travellers can benefit from a free visa which will be granted to them upon arrival in the country. This visa is of course a single entry visa. And if the traveller has to leave the country and then return during these 45 days, he will have to obtain a second visa, this time paying.
So, if your trip to Vietnam lasts more than 45 consecutive days, you will have to apply for a visa beforehand and pay the necessary fees to obtain this document. For this visa application, you will need your passport in accordance with the conditions indicated above as well as 2 completed application forms and 2 passport photos if you apply at the embassy.
How do I get an e-visa for Vietnam online?
If you do not meet the conditions to travel for 45 consecutive days in Vietnam without a visa, you can also apply for this visa directly online with the e-visa procedure.
Here is the procedure to follow if you wish to benefit from this simplified procedure:
- Go to the Vietnamese immigration website or to the website of a service provider offering this type of service such as the partner we present on this page.
- Fill in the application form with your personal details, your date of entry into Vietnam, the reason for your trip and a temporary address in the country.
- Upload a scanned copy of your passport and a passport photo online.
- Pay the fees requested by the service partner online with a credit card.
- You will receive a reply from the Vietnamese authorities by e-mail within 3 working days.
With an e-visa, you can stay in Vietnam for up to 90 days, regardless of the reason for your visit. Another advantage of the e-visa is that once obtained, the traveller will not need to fill in the visa application once arrived in Vietnam. Only the verification by the immigration authorities of the visa on the date of entry will be necessary. However, you should remember to print out the visa you have obtained by email beforehand in order to present it both when you board your flight to Vietnam and when you arrive in the country at the border control.
In summary: Documents and papers needed to travel to Vietnam
To travel to Vietnam, it is important to prepare in advance by ensuring you have the required documents and credentials. Foreign travellers must have the following to enter Vietnam:
- Valid passport: A valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months is required to enter Vietnam. It is important to check that your passport has sufficient blank pages for visas and stamps, as these will be required for entry and exit.
- Visa: A visa is required to enter Vietnam, unless you are from a country eligible for short-term visa-free travel. Travellers can obtain a visa on arrival or online before leaving. It is important to check visa requirements with the Vietnamese embassy before you leave to avoid delays or refusal of entry.
- Return air ticket: Proof of your return journey is needed to prove that you do not plan to stay in Vietnam illegally. The authorities may require to see a return air ticket or travel reservation.
- Proof of financial means: It is important to prove that you have enough money to cover the expenses of your stay, such as accommodation, food and tourist activities. This may include a credit card, bank statement or cash.
- Travel insurance: Travel insurance is highly recommended to cover medical and repatriation expenses in case of need. The authorities may ask you to provide proof of valid travel insurance.
- Proof of accommodation: Proof of accommodation during your stay in Vietnam may be requested, such as a hotel reservation or a detailed travel itinerary. It is important to provide accurate information about the accommodation, including the name of the hotel and the dates of stay.
- Contact information: It is important to carry contact information for the home country embassy in Vietnam in case of an emergency. It is also useful to have the contact details of your travel company or tour operator to facilitate communication in case of need.
In order to best prepare for your future trip to Vietnam, you must first of all make sure you have a valid passport as well as a residence permit such as a visa (if the conditions of your stay require it) which you can obtain directly online from a specialised site such as the one we recommend on this page.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.