As you may already know, obtaining a visa for Vietnam can take some time. It is therefore necessary to do this well in advance to ensure that you prepare correctly and in time for your stay. But in reality, the processing time of your visa application will vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for. As we will see below, applying for an e-visa, which is done entirely online, is much faster than applying for a paper visa at the embassy or consulate.
How long does it take to process a traditional visa application for Vietnam?
If you want to apply for a classic visa for Vietnam, you must go to the Vietnamese consulate or embassy in your country of residence. Of course, this procedure will be much longer, more complex and the processing time slower than for the e-visa.
Indeed, to obtain a valid visa, it takes approximately 10 days to process when the period is normal. This time may be extended during busy periods and when there are many applications.
Please note that it is also possible to obtain this visa in 3 days by choosing the urgent processing option, for an additional fee.
For this reason and if you are eligible, we advise you to opt for the e-visa or electronic visa for Vietnam.
How long does it take to process an online e-visa application for Vietnam?
If you wish to visit Vietnam for a classic tourist reason, we advise you to apply for an e-visa online which will be much faster than the classic visa application at the consulate or embassy.
Indeed, you will just have to fill in a simple form and wait a few days to receive your visa. On average, it takes 4 to 5 working days to obtain your visa from sites such as our partner's site.
When is the best time to apply for a visa for Vietnam?
As we have just seen, the processing time of a visa application for Vietnam depends on the type of visa you are applying for. In any case, we recommend that you apply well in advance to be prepared for any eventuality.
Ideally, you should apply for your visa or e-visa online one to two months before your departure date.
If your visa or e-visa is refused or if you make a mistake when filling in the form, this will allow you to reapply on time and complete your stay.
How to apply for and obtain an e-visa for Vietnam?
The e-visa is a procedure that has been introduced by the Vietnamese authorities and allows you to travel to Vietnam for a period of 90 consecutive days without the need to apply for a regular visa. Here are the different steps to follow to apply for this visa:
- Prepare the different documents you will need for your application: You will need to prepare a colour scan or a good quality colour copy of the identity page of your passport. This passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of leaving the country. We also recommend that you have 3 blank pages, 2 of which must be facing each other. You will also need to provide a colour scan or colour copy of a passport photo.
- Fill in the online e-visa application form: Then access an online visa application form such as the one offered by our service provider in which you will need to fill in information about your marital status, your passport, which are the border crossing airports in Vietnam, what is the name and address of your first hotel and the reason for your stay.
- Pay the processing and transfer fee: Once you have completed the form, you will need to pay the application fee for your e-visa. This fee is payable for each traveller applying for this travel authorisation. The fee will be fixed, whether it is for a tourist or business trip. This low fee is intended to encourage travellers to discover the country and travel to Vietnam using this simplified online procedure.
- Waiting for the visa application processing time: Once you have applied and paid the processing and transfer fee for your visa application, you will only have to wait a few days for the Vietnamese authorities to check and approve your application. Generally speaking, as mentioned above, the time taken to obtain an e-visa for Vietnam is around 4-5 working days. More often than not, we find that travellers applying for a Vietnam e-visa get it in less time, i.e. in one or two days at most.
- Retrieve your e-visa: Once the Vietnamese authorities have reviewed your application, processed it and approved your e-visa request, you will receive the visa directly by email. All you need to do is print this A4 document and present it when you board your flight to Vietnam. If you do not find this email in your main inbox, please check your spam or junk mail folder. Of course, we advise you to check the information it contains before you leave.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.