A trip to Vietnam lasting more than 45 days for British nationals will require a visa or e-visa. But how long will you be able to stay in the country with this type of visa? How long is the visa valid for Vietnam depending on the type of visa you have applied for? This is what we propose you to discover through this article which explains you the different validity periods of these visas and the authorized length of stay.
How long can you stay in Vietnam with a visa?
The duration of validity of the visa for Vietnam, i.e. the maximum length of stay authorised by this visa, will actually depend on the type of visa you are going to request. There are currently 3 types of visas for Vietnam:
- The visa or electronic visa that you can obtain directly online.
- The visa on arrival that you apply for directly when you arrive in the country.
- The classic visa that you can obtain by applying at the Vietnamese consulate or embassy in your country of residence.
Among these 3 types of visas, it is the e-visa or electronic visa which is the most requested, because it is the easiest and fastest to obtain, but also the cheapest.
It should also be noted that English travellers can benefit from a visa exemption for Vietnam if their stay lasts less than 45 days.
How long is the Vietnam e-visa valid for?
If you choose to apply for an e-visa to Vietnam, the duration and validity of the e-visa will be 90 days.
Moreover, the fact of making this application entirely online would allow you to save time because you will not need to go to the Vietnamese embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
It should also be noted that the 90-day validity period will start from the day of your arrival in the country. This date of entry into Vietnam should be clearly stated in your visa application.
Thus, if the date indicated is earlier than your actual departure date, the days between this date and your actual departure date will be deducted from the 90-day period of stay.
The Vietnam e-visa is an electronic visa that is only for travellers who wish to visit Vietnam for tourism or business reasons. It is a single-entry visa that will only allow you to make one trip to the country.
Of course. And if you want to visit Vietnam several times in a year, you can apply for as many e-visa as you want.
How long is the visa on arrival valid for Vietnam?
It is also possible to apply for a visa on arrival in the country. The visa on arrival is a visa that is only valid for tourist and business travel.
However, we strongly advise against applying for a visa on arrival. If you do not meet all the requirements for an e-visa because you want to stay in the country for more than 90 days or because you want to visit several times, it is better to apply for a classic visa at the embassy.
The length of validity of the visa on arrival will depend on the type of visa you apply for.
- Tourist visa on arrival: There are four different types of visa depending on the duration and number of entries during your stay. Two of these visa types are valid for one month and the other two are valid for three months. Each of these variants has a single entry and a multiple entry version. If you choose a multiple-entry visa, you will be able to enter and leave Vietnam as many times as you wish during the one-month or three-month period of your visa.
- Business visa on arrival: There are no less than 6 different variants of the business visa. Each of these variants also offers single-entry and multiple-entry visa types. As far as validity periods are concerned, there are visas with a validity period of one month, three months, six months and one year. Note here that visas for Vietnam with a validity of 6 months or one year are always multiple entry visas.
What is the validity period of the classic Vietnam visa?
If you wish to apply for a Vietnam visa at the embassy or consulate of your home country, you can also choose between different types of visas. This procedure will allow you to receive your document in the form of a sticker that you must stick in your passport.
Of course, this type of application involves extra work for the consular staff at the Vietnamese embassy and therefore has a higher fee than the online visa. As for the validity periods of the different visas offered by the embassy, here are the details:
- Single entry visa for one month.
- The 3-month single-entry visa.
- One month multiple entry visa.
- 3-month multiple-entry visa.
- 6-month multiple-entry visa.
- 12 month multiple entry visa.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.