Zanzibar is an island that is part of Tanzania of which it is a region. It is therefore necessary, just like travelling to Tanzania, to have an e-visa or e-travel authorisation to go there. The online visa or e-visa for Tanzania is a travel permit that allows you to visit Zanzibar legally and can be obtained very quickly. On this page we will explain the different visa options for Zanzibar and how to take advantage of the online e-visa programme for this destination.
The different types of visas for travelling to Zanzibar :
The type of visa you will need to obtain to visit Zanzibar depends on the purpose of your stay:
- Tourist visa: This visa is suitable if you are going on holiday to the island for a stay of less than 90 days. This is a quick and easy to obtain electronic visa.
- The multiple-entry visa: This visa should be used if your trip involves multiple entries and exits from Zanzibar and Tanzania or if you wish to make several visits to the island. It can be used for an unlimited number of entries.
- Business visa: This is more complicated to obtain and requires certain documents and supporting evidence.
- Student visa: This visa can only be applied for if you wish to study or train in Zanzibar. It will also be necessary here to attach supporting documents to your application, which will be examined by the Tanzanian authorities. It is also more expensive.
- Transit visa: Finally, the transit visa is only for travellers who are going to a country other than Tanzania but whose journey includes a stopover or transit through a Tanzanian airport.
What is the e-visa or electronic visa for Zanzibar?
The e-visa for Tanzania and therefore for Zanzibar is a visa that has been introduced to simplify tourism in this country. It allows travel to Zanzibar for a maximum of 90 days.
You can apply for this visa online in just a few minutes and, once you have obtained it, you only need to print it out on an A4 sheet of black and white paper and present it at the time of boarding with your passport.
As we will see below in more detail, the procedure for obtaining this visa is extremely simple and will only take you a few minutes as it is done directly online. In addition, the e-visa provider we have selected for you will check your entire file in order to avoid a refusal due to an error when filling in the form.
Documents needed to obtain an online visa for Zanzibar :
To apply for an online e-visa to visit Zanzibar, you will need only a few documents including
- A scan of the identity page of your biometric passport. This passport must have a minimum validity of 180 days or 6 months from the date you plan to arrive in the country. A valid passport that does not cover this period will not be accepted. This passport must also have at least 3 blank pages, two of which must be facing each other to allow entry.
- A colour scan or quality photocopy of a European standard passport photo.
- Proof or confirmation of an outward and return air ticket showing your first and last names or a travel agency certificate showing the dates of the outward and return journey, also with your first and last names.
Complete the Zanzibar visa application form online:
Once you have collected these documents, you can go to our partner's website to apply for your visa. This is done by means of a simple form in which you will have to fill in :
- Information about your identity
- Information on your professional situation
- Information on your direct parents (first and last names of parents)
- The date of the last visit to Tanzania
- Information about your place of residence in the country, i.e. the hotel(s) where you will be staying.
- Information about the person who will be hosting you, if applicable, including name, address, email and telephone number
- Other elements may be requested depending on your situation
The validation of this e-visa application form for Zanzibar and Tanzania is only done after the payment of the requested fees. The latter can be paid by credit card from a secure server.
As you will see when you do this online, the e-visa allows you to obtain a residence permit for Tanzania very quickly. Indeed, the current processing time for this type of online visa is between 11 and 15 working days. The actual processing time is determined by the date of departure of your trip, with the earliest dates being given priority. It should be noted, however, that this period may be longer at certain times of the year and may be as long as one month during the high tourist season. This is why it is preferable to send your application at least one month before departure and entry into the country, and even longer before, to guarantee that you will be able to leave.
Do not hesitate to systematically check the answers you give on the online form so as not to make any mistakes that could lead to a refusal. By using the services of an agent such as the one we recommend here, you will avoid any disappointment.
Apply for your Tanzania e-visa!